The disaster known as gauge
Why, oh why, did I not try it on earlier??

There is my gorgeous jaywalker, in all its rainbow glory. I was in love with this sock... the yarn was a dream to knit with, and the pattern was easy peasy. I got that ^^ far when mom says "have you tried it on yet? I hear jaywalkers run a little small". Don't you hate it when the little voice in your head goes "oh shit, I knew this was going to happen"? Yeah. I couldn't get it over my heel. Damn. Out came the gauge ruler. I was *so* sure that my yarn and my needles would create the perfect gauge. Well, apparently I'm not a relaxed knitter... I strive for stitch perfection. Well, my OCD knitting style resulted in the unfortunate discovery that I knit way too tightly!!!!!!
In my sorrow and reluctantance to rip out the jaywalker right away, I picked up the two skeins of Lorna's Laces in "Lakeview" that had been absolutely purring on my desk for several days, and glumly wound them into balls.
Suddenly, this sock was born:

I am lovin this pattern, and the sock is knitting up quickly. I'm also practicing relaxing my tension on the yarn... so far, it fits!!**
The pattern is a 6-stitch pattern out of Sensational Knitted Socks. Don't remember what the pattern was called, I had to leave the book at home when I came back to school -- however, my dad was kind enough to order a copy of the book and send it to school for me, so I am eagerly awaiting my own copy.
**I had to cast on the size larger than the one recommended for my foot/gauge, but at least it fits!!

There is my gorgeous jaywalker, in all its rainbow glory. I was in love with this sock... the yarn was a dream to knit with, and the pattern was easy peasy. I got that ^^ far when mom says "have you tried it on yet? I hear jaywalkers run a little small". Don't you hate it when the little voice in your head goes "oh shit, I knew this was going to happen"? Yeah. I couldn't get it over my heel. Damn. Out came the gauge ruler. I was *so* sure that my yarn and my needles would create the perfect gauge. Well, apparently I'm not a relaxed knitter... I strive for stitch perfection. Well, my OCD knitting style resulted in the unfortunate discovery that I knit way too tightly!!!!!!
In my sorrow and reluctantance to rip out the jaywalker right away, I picked up the two skeins of Lorna's Laces in "Lakeview" that had been absolutely purring on my desk for several days, and glumly wound them into balls.
Suddenly, this sock was born:

I am lovin this pattern, and the sock is knitting up quickly. I'm also practicing relaxing my tension on the yarn... so far, it fits!!**
The pattern is a 6-stitch pattern out of Sensational Knitted Socks. Don't remember what the pattern was called, I had to leave the book at home when I came back to school -- however, my dad was kind enough to order a copy of the book and send it to school for me, so I am eagerly awaiting my own copy.
**I had to cast on the size larger than the one recommended for my foot/gauge, but at least it fits!!


5 Comments:
Ooh, I love the Lakeview color! According to my copy of SKS I think that's "Stansfield #11." It's such a great book.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. :) Ironically, I plan to make Jaywalkers with The Red and The Black, and I'm worried about gauge issues because the yarn is thicker than what the pattern calls for. I'm hoping the striping will work nicely.
I made a beautiful pair of socks (straight stockinette) out of Lakeview earlier this year as a birthday gift for a friend ... how I love Lorna's Laces.
Darn it, now you're making me wonder about my Jaywalkers. I knew they ran small too but they look OK. I'd hate to have to rip 'em out.
I checked and mine are too small. Wah.
You'll find this funny: the word verification for this post is ofdogfu. Of dog fu. OK, maybe only I find it funny.
Post a Comment
<< Home