Happy Mardi Gras!
edit: I got around to re-doing the look of my blog, any feedback?
Wow, it's been a crazy weekend! I managed to go to parades almost 4 days in a row (I didn't go on Saturday because those parades were postponed). I got to see Krewe D'etat, Morpheus, Bacchus, Endymion, Orpheus, and Zulu. Bacchus and Endymion were by far the most fun (a combination of a really good spot right up on the street and a delicious $6 bottle of white wine). Most of the beads in the picture are from Bacchus and Endymion -- I was quite the bead whore that night, but there were definitely no boobs to speak of! I'm not into that! It's purely my cute little face ;-) I'm also home for half of the week since I have the whole week off of school (wooh!). Here is some of the booty:

The people on the floats use these bags to hold beads they're throwing, and then throw it over the side when it's empty for the hoards of people below
I had to unload my neck probably about three different times that night, all my beads got too heavy for me. I think I probably have about 10 pounds of beads in that bag.

Traditionally, Endymion and Bacchus (the two biggest, flashiest parades) are held Saturday and Sunday night, respectively. However, this year due to bad weather on Saturday, Endymion got postponed to after Bacchus -- resulting in the two largest parades rolling back to back -- it was quite the night! Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me (I try not to carry a purse, Mardi Gras is prime time for pickpockets), but believe you me, the floats are amazing works of art. I hope everyone gets to see New Orleans mardi gras at least once in their life. Dan Ackroyd (sp??) was king of Endymion, and his float stopped in front of us for at least 5 minutes -- it was pretty cool.
At Orpheus, which rolls Monday night, I got to see Josh Hartnett and Scarlet Johannssen (sp?????), which was also pretty cool, although Josh Hartnett looked kinda scruffy. I also got hit in the head with this:

Catching stuffed animals (or being hit in the head with stuffed animals) is pretty special, they're thrown much less frequently than beads.
Zulu was also pretty cool, although kinda short and not as flashy as the big parades. Zulu rolls at 8 am Tuesday morning, so we had to wake up at 6:30 and leave for the parade route by 7:00 (eep!). We got to see Mayor Nagin ride by on a horse, which I wasn't expecting (I cheered for him despite myself) and apparently they had "real live" Zulu warriors and drummers straight from South Africa marching in the parade, which was pretty cool.
All in all, it was a great Mardi gras, and I had a blast!
Now onto the knitting....
After much pondering over what pattern to do, I started a pair of Jaywalkers! Yes, I've hopped on the bandwagon. My mom sent a skein of Socks that Rock to me at school for a Valentines day present, so I brought that home with me as my vacation project. It is absolutely gorgeous, and is doing the coolest swirl pattern with a ton of colors. The colorway is "Jewel of the Nile". Here are some very poor pictures, I promise more pictures later!

There are probably about eight different colors in this skein (besides the variations in shades)

sorry for the extremely poor picture
I already have over 2 inches knitted, and I started this puppy last night! (I'm a fairly slow knitter, especially on dpns). Speaking of dpns, I'm using five size 1 double points, the smallest I've used yet. I'm going blind!
Wow, it's been a crazy weekend! I managed to go to parades almost 4 days in a row (I didn't go on Saturday because those parades were postponed). I got to see Krewe D'etat, Morpheus, Bacchus, Endymion, Orpheus, and Zulu. Bacchus and Endymion were by far the most fun (a combination of a really good spot right up on the street and a delicious $6 bottle of white wine). Most of the beads in the picture are from Bacchus and Endymion -- I was quite the bead whore that night, but there were definitely no boobs to speak of! I'm not into that! It's purely my cute little face ;-) I'm also home for half of the week since I have the whole week off of school (wooh!). Here is some of the booty:

I had to unload my neck probably about three different times that night, all my beads got too heavy for me. I think I probably have about 10 pounds of beads in that bag.

Traditionally, Endymion and Bacchus (the two biggest, flashiest parades) are held Saturday and Sunday night, respectively. However, this year due to bad weather on Saturday, Endymion got postponed to after Bacchus -- resulting in the two largest parades rolling back to back -- it was quite the night! Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me (I try not to carry a purse, Mardi Gras is prime time for pickpockets), but believe you me, the floats are amazing works of art. I hope everyone gets to see New Orleans mardi gras at least once in their life. Dan Ackroyd (sp??) was king of Endymion, and his float stopped in front of us for at least 5 minutes -- it was pretty cool.
At Orpheus, which rolls Monday night, I got to see Josh Hartnett and Scarlet Johannssen (sp?????), which was also pretty cool, although Josh Hartnett looked kinda scruffy. I also got hit in the head with this:

Catching stuffed animals (or being hit in the head with stuffed animals) is pretty special, they're thrown much less frequently than beads.
Zulu was also pretty cool, although kinda short and not as flashy as the big parades. Zulu rolls at 8 am Tuesday morning, so we had to wake up at 6:30 and leave for the parade route by 7:00 (eep!). We got to see Mayor Nagin ride by on a horse, which I wasn't expecting (I cheered for him despite myself) and apparently they had "real live" Zulu warriors and drummers straight from South Africa marching in the parade, which was pretty cool.
All in all, it was a great Mardi gras, and I had a blast!
Now onto the knitting....
After much pondering over what pattern to do, I started a pair of Jaywalkers! Yes, I've hopped on the bandwagon. My mom sent a skein of Socks that Rock to me at school for a Valentines day present, so I brought that home with me as my vacation project. It is absolutely gorgeous, and is doing the coolest swirl pattern with a ton of colors. The colorway is "Jewel of the Nile". Here are some very poor pictures, I promise more pictures later!


I already have over 2 inches knitted, and I started this puppy last night! (I'm a fairly slow knitter, especially on dpns). Speaking of dpns, I'm using five size 1 double points, the smallest I've used yet. I'm going blind!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home