Monday, February 20, 2006

ack

I swear, from now on I'll update! It's been rather hectic around here lately.... I'm working (onsite technology support) as well as taking a ridiculous amount of hours (20) which adds up to 6 classes. I must be masochistic, because some of those classes I'm just taking for fun. 600 level Archaic Greece history class? heh.

As for the knitting....well, I had a cold and managed to get a lot of knitting done. Forget about homework! Who does homework, anyway??

For Christmas my mom gave me some wonderful sport weight Lorna's Laces in Irving Park. Wonderful stuff, but I managed to forget about the fact that since it's not specifically sock yarn, it's not stretchy like practically all other sock yarns. I started knitting "Denmark" from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road, and after finishing the first sock I realized that I could barely get it over my heel. Oops. After much shimmying, I got it on.

But then I realized another error, after my mother so graciously pointed it out amid my joyous celebration of actually finishing a sock.

Mom: "nice sock, that toe is interesting... aren't the decreases supposed to be on the sides?"
(I apprehensively flip through the book to the picture of the finished sock)
Me: "$@#&%!!"



I have already knit the toe twice, because the first time I started decreasing too soon and it was too short. Now, not only do I have the decreases in the wrong place, it's still too short! I set that sock aside for a while, until I decide to suck it up and rip out the toe again and knit it for a *third* time.

Meanwhile, I picked up the Socks of Doom, finished the first one:

My apologies, the picture is dark!

and I am about 8 rows away from finishing the second one! Hooray!!
I had to bind off that first sock twice, because the first time I just did your typical bind off and it wasn't elastic-y enough. I found a genius method of bind off, involving a tapesty needle, that made it 1000x more elastic. Hooray for google!

I imagine my next post (because I swear there will be a next post, and sooner than a month away!) will display a happy pair of feet and my triumph over the Socks of Doom.

1 Comments:

Blogger emy said...

Don't fret about mistakes and reknitting! We all go through that (at least it happens to me a lot):P

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home